The 80's are back! At the Sydney Powerhouse Museum!

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

Being a fan and collector of all things nostalgia, I just had to pay a visit to the Sydney Powerhouse museum to check out their latest exhibit 'The 80's Are Back'! The 80's are back features 80's memorabilia of fads & toys, fashion, design, images, movies, TV, music, politics and audio-visuals of the best of the 80's, neon-80's (now) and other Australian history events of this iconic time. Maybe the Powerhouse museum curator Peter Cox, should of contacted me, as I have heaps of memorabilia...mainly toys & TV shows from the 80's that he could of included in the exhibit. While it is imperative that you check out The 80's are back yourself, I thought I would share with you my experience and some of my favourite things from the exhibition.

Walking into the Powerhouse museum foyer you are greeted with a big hanging white t-shirt saying The 80's are back! As you enter the exhibit you walk through a fluro tube playing famous 80's music video clips. First I spot a poster of the 1988 Yahoo Serious movie Young Einstein (why is this not available on DVD in Australia yet?) and his guitar!
A tribute to other iconic Aussie TV shows are also included; Neighbours soap show memorabilia posters, TV Guides, costumes, audio-visuals of the scene where Charlene (Kylie Minogue gets proposed to by Scott (Jason Donovan). Walls are emblazed with Aussie movie posters of Crocodile Dundee, Mad Max and Puberty Blues etc. Standouts for me was the Young talent time yo yo, Hey Hey it's Saturday book and collectibles from the Comedy Company; Con and Kylie Mole dolls!!! I'm sorry I didn't mention the Comedy Company in my Aussie 80's-90's TV at it's Best blog! I was obsessed with Kylie Mole! I had her cassette tape single of her 1988 chart hit So Excellent as well as her gum range and a Kylie Mole school folder! I also dressed up as her for a dress-up party, she was the Aussie version of a St Trinian and wore dress-up out-fits that would make Lady Ga Ga jealous! To make up for my fail of mention- here's a music video clip of Kylie Moles So Excellent and a picture of me wearing my Kylie Mole T-Shirt!



The Pac man stickers pathway will lead you to the main exhibit floor; there is a wall covered with 80's music records, a section dedicated to vintage gaming- mostly focusing on the Commodore 64. There are also arcade tables to play the original Space Invaders and Pac man games, you can purchase your own tables similar to these from Arcade Tables.

Mannequins fill the room wearing outfits and costumes of 80's music genres & fashion fads as well as iconic music, movie & TV garb like, Micheal Jackson's silver glove and Boy Georges' jumpsuit/trench.

I went crazy for the 80's toys! Rainbow Brite and Cabbage Patch dolls, Teddy Ruxpin, Storytelling Robot, Barbie & the Rockers, Strawberry Shortcake, Voltron, Trivial Pursuit board game, Rubik Cube, Hologram puzzle, Alf, Popples and the Inspector Gadget doll! (I always went to my neighbours house to play with this, and his Thunderbirds collection!)
There is also a giant  Rubik's Cube light- good for a photo op!

I was is awe of the 80's teen bedroom that featured an 80's pink bedspread, cassette player with tapes and a poster covered wall of teen 80's movies like, Dirty Dancing, The Breakfast Club, The Labyrinth and Flashdance etc.

Couldn't stop laughing a the 'yuppie' collectibles either with it's massive brick-like mobile phone (my dad had one the same!), American express card and even a Yuppie Newsweek magazine and a book called The Official Australian Yuppie Handbook by Janies Beaumont that includes words and slogans...that the yuppie community would use like; portfolio, state of the art, megabuck- gotta get this book, hilarious!

As well as pop-culture and entertainment a look at 80's politics and Aussie events also feature in the exhibit. Like Aussie fashion brand Mambo, caricature sculptures of Bob Hawke and Paul Keating.

The 80's are back also takes a look at present 80's culture in fashion, magazines, music and movies today as well as a look at Kitsch/camp nostalgia that was still around in the 90's. I loved seeing Sarah Blasko's mix-tape in the line-up!

Let me know  your thoughts on the 80's exhibit or what some of your fave things from the 80's were ?

To find out more and about tix details head to the official The 80's are back Powerhouse Museum website.