Bookshelf: Diary of an Edwardian Lady

Monday, August 30, 2010 2 Comments A+ a-

From a young tween to teen to young adult I have kept a diary/journal. Until 2002 I had recorded my everyday life filling over 20 journals. Now I only use this blog and a non-everyday journal to record thoughts, loves and ideas. The point that I am trying to make is that I have always had a huge interest in Journals and different forms of recording life, currently I have been getting into illustrated and watercolour journals.

Chatting to my nan about my current hobby she went to her bookshelf and came back with this treasure of a book! The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden an naturalists illustrated/watercolour diary from 1906- to me it's like the 'Secret Garden' has been opened up, as Edith shares her poems, beautifully inked observations and watercoloured drawings of wildlife and flowers.

The Blurb

2 comments

Write comments
Silvia
AUTHOR
September 2, 2010 at 6:11 AM delete

I understand you about your interest in journals and documenting life. It's a important part of my life.
And the book is lovely! I read it when I was a young girl (probably at 12-13 year old). I'm not sure if in Italy (where I live) is published now.

Reply
avatar
September 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM delete

Hi Silvia,

Great to see another Journal lover is reading my blog! Yes I was very lucky that my nan had a copy of this book as it is very hard to get. I did a search for you and found that you can buy it online, however copies are a bit expensive-

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nossurl=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Edith+Holden

I have also just read another illustrated journal book called 'An Illustrated Life' by Danny Gregory, which is at most bookstores now. I will be blogging about this book soon and might even add some scans of my journals.

Italy- such a beautiful place to live! My now husband proposed to me on Capri :) Fave movie is Under the Tuscan Sun.

Reply
avatar